The Medical Secretary (MS) Program at Syracuse Educational Opportunity Center prepares students for entry-level secretarial positions in the fast-growing health care industry. Upon successful completion of the program, students have the knowledge and skills necessary to work in hospitals, clinics, doctors’ and dentists’ offices, government agencies and insurance companies.
Students receive training in medical office procedures, medical terminology and patient billing, collection and reimbursement using an industry standard computer software program. Students also learn the technological aspects of preparing and maintaining medical documents, forms and records. Medical ethics and HIPPA requirements are also included.
This is an evening-only program (5:30-8:30 p.m.) lasting 15 weeks, with sessions starting in September and January.
MS – Medical Secretary Program
DOCUMENTATION CHECKLIST & PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Bring all required original documentation in person to the SEOC Admissions Office for review and processing.*
- All prospective students are required to provide a Photo ID with a New York Address
- Income Documentation (Examples: IRS Form 1040 for Current or Prior Year, Unemployment Benefit Statement, SSI/SSD Award Letter, PA/FS Budget Sheet, etc.)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Other items may be required depending on citizenship, age, etc.
Admission Requirements (to be scheduled at a later date)
- Minimum Reading of 9.0 on TABE Entrance Exam
- Attend a Program Orientation
- Must Demonstrate Basic Computer and Microsoft Word skills
- Must Pass a Times Keyboarding Exam with a Minimum of 15 WPM
- Two  Professional References
*Additional documentation may be necessary after review.
Upon successful completion of the program all graduates are expected to obtain employment. The EOC will provide job placement assistance to its graduates.